Slips and trips in public places

Individuals : Injury Claims

Slips and trips in public places

Can I claim for an injury that I suffered following a slip or trip in a public place?

The simple answer is yes, as long as you are not entirely at fault.

What caused the fall?

The Owner or Occupier of premises where the accident occurred is required to do all that is reasonable to protect lawful visitors to their premises from harm. Despite this duty avoidable accidents frequently occur including at swimming pools, shops, restaurants etc. All businesses should be protected in respect of these accidents by public liability insurance and so should most private homeowners and landlords.

If you have suffered a slip, trip or fall, call Thomson & Bancks for advice today. We understand that it is not the injury alone that causes problems but the costs associated with the injury including loss of earnings and private medical treatment.

Why use Thomson & Bancks?

Our ethos is ‘YOU MATTER TO US’. Going through a sometimes lengthy and complicated claim can be daunting and stressful. This is why we take control of it all for you. After all, we are the professionals in our field. Our team of personal injury specialists are here to help, support and guide you through the whole claim from start to finish.

Our Injury Claims Team

Staff that work in Injury Claims


Contact our specialists today

Our specialist Slips and trips in public places can guide you through your claim


Frequently asked questions about Injury Claims

How long will my claim take?

Unfortunately, there is no definite time scale to be given. Each claim is different so it is difficult for us to give you a definite timescale. However you can be sure at Thomson & Bancks that we will keep you up to date as much as we can and we will not know anything that you don’t.

How much compensation am I likely to receive after my slip, trip or fall?

There are a number of factors that will contribute towards how much you will receive. We will need to consider:
- The severity of your injuries
- Whether any time has been taken off work as a result of the accident, resulting in Loss of earnings
- The affect on your everyday life that your injuries have caused. Have your hobbies been affected?

What is a slip or trip?

A slip or a trip can result in an injury which was suffered on someone else’s property as a result of a defect, dangerous substance or dangerous condition. They can happen anywhere, either on private property, commercial property or public property.

Should I have completed an accident report at the time of my fall?

It is not mandatory for you to complete an accident report however it is something that the owner/occupier, of the public premises where your injury occurred, should complete. It is best for an accident report to be completed at the time of the accident so as any witnesses are present and important information such as conditions and any dangers can be reported as they were when you fell. However, the accident report should only be completed if you feel well enough to do so.

It is always best for you to keep your own record of what happened including photographs of the accident location if possible.

Will my claim have to go to court before I receive my compensation?

Each claim is completely different and whilst most claims settle outside of court if liability is denied by the other party, it may be necessary for your claim to go to court. Time will only tell once we have begun the process of your compensation claim.

Services for

Get in touch

Talk to our expert solicitors about your legal requirements